It’s almost the weekend and I’m planning a movie night for some teenagers for my son’s birthday party. Now you can’t have a movie without popcorn, and I’m smothering popcorn in caramel to make it extra special.
Here’s the super easy recipe to make your own.
10 cups of popped popcorn (I made two batches in a popcorn machine, but two microwave bags is perfect)
210ml light brown sugar
15ml golden syrup
2ml vanilla paste
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC
2. In a saucepan, place butter, sugar and syrup. Place on a medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
3. Allow to come to the boil and boil for about 4 minutes, or until a sugar thermometre reads 124ºC
4. Remove from the heat and stir in salt, bicarb and vanilla paste
5. Pour caramel over popcorn and stir to cover thoroughly
6. Pour popcorn out onto a greased baking tray and bake for 8 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool before eating.
This should come with a warning: You can’t just have one handful!