Nothing warms freezing cold hands and hearts after a long day at school than a great cup of hot chocolate.
This mug is pure decadence, kept for special time when nothing else will chase the chill away.
Add a dash (or two) of whiskey to this for your girl friends on book club night, and they will adore you.
I use my favourite nougat and caramel chocolate bar, but you could use any chocolate bar that you like. Peppermint bars are really great too.
Makes four large mugs:
- 800 ml full cream milk
- 250 ml cream
- 60 ml cocoa powder
- 200g chopped up chocolate
- 5 ml vanilla extract or 3 ml vanilla paste
- Marshmallows to serve
- In a sauce pan, bring the milk and cream to a simmer (small bubbles around the edge of the pot)
- Add cocoa, vanilla and chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted.
- Divide between mugs and top with marshmallows and a sprinkle of extra chocolate.