I love to eat rusks in bed on cold winter mornings. My husband loves to dunk them, but I’m not a fan of the yuckiness that becomes the bottom of your coffee, so I avoid that. These are crumblier rusks and are perfect for dunking or just eating.
I made this recipe on Expresso Morning Show a while back and the stylist cut them into really man sized rusks, I prefer a smaller rusks that’s easy to put in your mouth. I double this recipe to make sure I only have to bake them once a week to keep everyone happy, of course I have a huge family and they go quickly. You may like to make a smaller batch.
• 250g soft butter
• 190ml brown sugar
• 2 eggs
• 500g whole wheat flour
• 15ml baking powder
• 3ml salt
• 100g chopped walnuts
• 100g cake fruit mix
• 100g almond flour
• 100g crushed bran flakes
• 150ml milk
• 15ml lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 180⁰C
2. Grease a large rectangular cake tin, or oven proof dish.
3. Add lemon juice to milk. It will curdle, this is fine.
4. Beat butter, sugar and eggs together in a large bowl.
5. Add dry ingredients and mix well.
6. Add milk and combine well.
7. Press into baking tin and level well.
8. Cut into rusks sizes before baking for 30-40 minutes until brown.
9. Remove from oven. Allow to cool.
10. Break into rusks and place on cooling racks. Dry out overnight in oven at 60⁰C
Here’s a little behind the scenes of the photographer,Gunther Schubert, at the show, setting up for a shot. Yes, He’s setting up on the floor, I bet you’d never notice!
Store in an airtight container. If they get a bit soft, just pop them into an oven for 10 minutes to dry out again.